Friday 10 February 2012

Quilts Two and Three

My second quilt will always have a special place in my heart, not just as I made it for my best friend's baby, my god-daughter to be, but also because I started properly working on it during our holiday in Ireland, where my partner and I got engaged. Here's the ring for those who are interested ;)
So anyway, the quilt! This quilt was inspired by my mum's style. She has only been quilting for a few years, but has such an eye for colour and design, she's got to the stage where I think even her teacher is in awe of her! So I designed my applique patches first, with several bunnies thrown in for good measure (I LOVE bunnies!!) and then designed the quilt around these. The fabric is a jelly roll of Oasis by Three Sisters for Moda: http://www.unitednotions.com/fcc_Oasis.pdf (I love love LOVE Moda fabrics... I have my eye on a jelly roll by 'Bunny Hill Designs for my next baby quilt, for obvious reasons!) Anyway, I am rambling, here's the quilt!
Excuse the wonky picture! In fact excuse the quality of my camera work generally - it's not my strong suite! Will try to work on it, specially for you ;)

Then of course I 'had' to make a quilt for baby's sister (poor me!) I had just the fabrics - a set of glittery star and unicorm fabrics I had bought a few years earlier, originally planning to make myself a lap quilt. There was no real plan to this design. I cut out as many unicorns as I could first, then made the applique patches because I just love to sit and hand-applique in front of the TV in the evenings, and then I wanted a patchy square to showcase the fabrics for the remaining squares. I sewed them together, then backed with pink fleece, and Bob's your aunty's dentist's cat's vet's mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment